Disocactus macranthus update

For the May edition of Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, I posted a photo of Disocactus macranthus, covered in buds, with the first few blooms newly opened. Fast forward a couple of weeks and those buds have exploded into a spectacular display, greeting visitors as they enter our front door with a dazzling array of citrusy-perfumed flowers:

The blooms only last one day each, but with so many buds in varying stages of opening, the show will continue for at least a few weeks.


Poke your nose deep into the flower and the pleasant citrus scent becomes somewhat...ponky. My neighbour likens it to old socks. I'd describe it more as the faintest whiff of cat wee. But you really have to stick your nose right down in there to smell it. From anywhere other than close proximity, its perfume is really quite pleasant.


And anyway, with a display like this, I'd still grow it, no matter the smell!

While I was out taking photos for this post, a couple of other flowering hanging plants caught my eye. This is Schlumbergera 'Christmas Fantasy'. I have found it to be the most vigorous and fast growing of all the Schlumbergera sp. I grow. Interestingly the flower colour appears slightly darker this year. I believe this is a reaction to cold temperatures - this phenomenon has affected several of my Schlumbergera plants this year.

The (no ID) Schlumbergera sp. below was from my great aunt's garden. She was mad on them and always had a beautiful display at this time of year. When they bloom, I think of her and her amazing garden.

Note the large Euphorbia trigona specimen pushing its way up to the roof in the background. But that's a post for another day...


Comments

  1. Wow, your entry looks wonderful! Well done! The Disocactus flowers look like dainty fireworks.

    Your great aunt's Schlumbergia is a gorgeous combo of white and pink. How lovely that you have it to enjoy and to remember her by. I have my Mom's Maranta leuconeura. It is flowering today. Having plants from friends, family, and neighbors is a way to feel connected with the past, the community of plant lovers, and with the future too if we encourage others to garden, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your dainty fireworks description hb, that’s exactly what they look like!

      Yes it’s so lovely to have plants from friends/family etc and I agree with you that these help us to feel connected with others, even if they are no longer around. Nice that your Mum’s maranta is flowering for you today.

      I should mention that the disocactus was originally gifted to me as a little plant by a retired horticulture lecturer of mine. He popped over to say hello a couple of days ago and got to see it in full bloom.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful display! I need to look for that cactus. One of my the Epiphyllums in my lath house is preparing to bloom but, as those flowers open at night, I'm afraid I may miss it (again).

    I haven't grown Schlumbergera in years but even when I did, I never had any that flowered with such abundance. I love that light pink one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kris, I was lucky be gifted the disocactus as a small plant a few years ago. It’s not something I’ve ever seen at a nursery here.

    Interesting that your epiphyllum flowers at night. I grow several of those too - the old fashioned white one opens at night for me, staying open for most of the following day. The others open during the day. I hope you are able to snap a photo or yours (even if it’s by torchlight!).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday: blue, silver and red (and lime and burgundy)

In a vase on Monday: a bright little bunch

In a vase on Monday: bright delight