In a vase on Monday: fresh as a daisy

This week's feature flower, with its towering canes of exploding white daisy flowers, is the standout plant in my garden at this time of year. Easily reaching 4 metres (13 feet) tall, Mexican tree daisy Montanoa bipinnatifida is loved by bees and passers-by, several of whom have snuck up our driveway to snap a photo with their phones in recent days.

Mexican tree daisy triffid

The blooms are so fresh and pure

Wrestling with a rose in our driveway
 
I recall picking a large vase full of of these flowers to take in to my Mother in hospital a few years ago. Disappointingly, they completely flopped during the car journey, even though I had placed them into water immediately after cutting. For this reason, I decided to display the blooms floating in a bowl - this way I could avoid wilting stems and enjoy the flowers close up.

Simple and sweet

With my hand for scale

A bowl full of happiness

Head over to Cathy's blog, Rambling in the Garden to see this week's vase-worthy creations from bloggers around the world.

Comments

  1. That is such a great idea! Looks fabulous, and the plant itself --- OMG!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, it’s a head-turning plant, that’s for sure!

      Delete
  2. A a head turning display... daisies up in a tree instead of the familiar, in-the-ground clumps (or small shrubs). The blooms floating in the sky-blue bowl is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chavli, I remember stopping to admire this plant in another garden years ago, not knowing what it was, but knowing I had to grow one!

      Delete
  3. Very beautiful, Horticat! I'm surprised you don't have just neighbors but also the local newspaper stopping by to snap photos of that daisy tree. It's clear I planted the wrong type of tree daisy here. My Olearia albida has been a bust thus far. It's only just over a foot tall after a couple of years in the ground and there's been no sign of flowering whatsoever. I think I need to look for your Montanoa bipinnatifida ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, I just googled Olearia albida, having never heard of it. You grow some really interesting plants in your garden. Montanoa likes a bit of extra water - it enjoys that spot as it gets the runoff from our carport downpipe.

      Delete
  4. What an astonishing plant, and the simplicity of the flowerheads floating in the bowl is so appealing - thanks for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, and thank you for hosting. It’s fun to see the diversity in all the various bunches. I do enjoy taking part and seeing what others have created.

      Delete
  5. Wow! that is some daisy. have you seen Bolivian Sunflowers? Weird they don't last cut, though they look great in the blue bowl. the shrub queen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shrub Queen, I hadn’t heard of Bolivian sunflower before - just googled it - very similar, isn’t it? Will keep an eye out for it.

      Delete
  6. I have never seen a daisy tree or even known of their existence....what a beautiful tree and flower. Love how you floated them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Donna, they sure are something in full bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shrub is really gorgeous, and I love the way you have displayed those flowers. Absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday: blue, silver and red (and lime and burgundy)

In a vase on Monday: bright delight

In a vase on Monday... just in time