In a vase on Monday: camellias on show

Just squeezing in late this week with my IAVOM contribution. Truth be told, I completely forgot yesterday, as both myself and my other half had the day off. It was a gorgeous winter day with SUN and I spent a fair bit of it outside working on the garden.

Most of the camellias in our garden are in full bloom now, although there are a couple of late flowering varieties yet to open their buds. 

The bowl was gifted to me by my MIL, who claims it is specifically a bowl for camellias - I'm not so sure, but they do display well in it. Blooms displayed include, 'Margaret Davis', 'Debutante', 'Bob Hope', 'Black Tie', 'The Zsar' and two unknown varieties. 


I'm off to do a bit of work in the veggie patch today. Vegetable gardening - as satisfying as it is - also reaps financial rewards at this time. Our recent widespread Australian floods have resulted in a shortage of some vegetables, particularly lettuce, which are currently retailing at $10... each! Our daily green salad, picked fresh from the garden has never seemed so extravagant!

And here are a few wide shots of the almond tree from which last week's IAVOM was created. 


 

You can just see a couple of skyscrapers to the left of the tree; it enjoys a wonderful view overlooking the city.

Cathy over at Rambling in the Garden is the creator and weekly host of the In a Vase on Monday meme. To see what other gardeners have filled their vases with this week, check out her blog here. Perhaps you have a vase of your own garden blooms to add?


Comments

  1. Your wide shots are wonderful and the Camellias are lovely. I wish I had more of them myself. Hybrid 'Taylor's Perfection' was one of the first plants I installed in my current garden but, despite 10+ years in the ground, it struggled this year, prematurely dropping almost all of its buds and a frightening percentage of its foliage.

    $10 for a head of lettuce sounds outrageous but I suppose our drought crisis could have the same impact here at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame about your 'Taylor's Perfection', Kris. Camellias are tough, but your extreme drought conditions sound very challenging, even for so called 'easy care' plants. I don't know how you manage it, but despite these conditions, your garden always looks fabulous.

      Delete
  2. Hi it's Amelia theshrubqueen. I love floating Camellias, my grandmother always had a bowl on the dinner table in the fall. One of my favorite flowers. The almond photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia, I do think it is the best way to display them. My grandmother grew camellias too - I remember admiring a beautiful pale pink and very symmetrical specimen she grew in her garden when I was a little kid.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, those camellias are gorgeous, and what a range of varieties you have! And wonderful photos of your (?) almond and those glorious skies! Thanks for sharing. Good to know you managed to have a useful day off in the garden yesterday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, there are a couple more varieties yet to bloom that will open soon too. It's not really 'my' almond tree, but one I admire often on a regular walk :)

      Delete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous camellias and I love the presentation! Beautiful tree too. Have fun in your veg garden- so rewarding to grow your own food, especially in times like these. 😃 We have beans and zucchini galore at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, yes vegetable growing is very satisfying - and of course you cannot get fresher than picked straight from your own garden! I'm sure you are finding lots of interesting ways to use up all your beans and zucchini :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday: blue, silver and red (and lime and burgundy)

In a vase on Monday: bright delight

In a vase on Monday: a bright little bunch