Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day October 2022

Spring is finally here, although it feels cooler and wetter than usual here in South Australia for this time of year. We are lucky we haven't had the torrential rain nor severe flooding that some of the eastern states are experiencing on repeat.

There's lots of floral bling in the garden at the moment (as well as lots and lots of weeds; they also appreciate the extra rainfall).

First up is a picture not from my own garden, but the nursery where I work. I wanted to include it as I thought it was so unusual. Yep, it's real - not Photoshopped! This is one of a new series of kangaroo paws sold under the Bush Gems Celebrations range. The unusual form above is 'Masquerade' (Anigozanthos hybrid 'KPMASQ' pbr 'Maquerade' pbr). It is striking, but I can't decide if I like it or not. I think that's because it reminds me of the dyed chrysanthemums and orchids you sometimes see in supermarkets. I do, however, admire the breeding work of Kings Park plant breeders in creating this very unusual colour, which was created via a process called recurrent selection (not genetic engineering). More info here.

Now on to my own garden....

....lots of things in pots. These bright little things are Viola cornuta 'Blue Butterfly'

Nodding violet Streptocarpus caulescens is never without flowers in my garden, although this one needs a serious haircut, so it may be without blooms for a little while shortly. I like it next to the chartreuse of the no ID euphorbia below.

Succulent blooms in hot colours: Euphorbia milii hybrid 'Lipstick', also never without flowers; fan aloe Kumara plicatilis and a trailing Kalanchoe sp.

Cymbidium orchids galore

Cymbidium lowianum

A closer look. Aechmea fasciata is blooming top right

The unusual colours and form of queen's tears Billbergia nutans

Most of the camellias have finished now, but late-blooming 'Grace Albritton' is still going

Euphorbia milii 'Neptune' looks pretty next to Aeonium 'Kiwi'

I like placing some potted colour by the front door to cheer the place over winter. These cinerarias did the trick. Azalea 'Coral Bells' and Corydalis 'Blue Line' stand behind.

Azalea 'Coral Bells' in a comically small pot. Repotting is in order after flowering has finished.

Annual silene. Don't know the species - do you?

Velthiemia bracteata, inherited from a Great Aunt who was a great gardener

Nemesia strumosa 'Patchwork' flopping all over the place - but I love it anyway

The only orchid in its genus Ludisia discolor

Leucospermum 'So Exquisite'

Salvia dicolor hanging out with Gladiolus 'Blushing Bride'

Salvia cant-find-the-tag

No ID crassula? sedum? I love how the centres change colour as they age

Snowball tree Viburnum opulus (sterile form)

Borage (buzzing with bees when I took this photo)

Granny Smith apple blossom

Bok Choy gone to seed. Mr bee (top right) seems quite happy about that.

Most of the veggie patch gone to seed. Must get in there and prep for tomatoes...

Well it's technically a flower head....

Dainty handkerchief-like blooms of Saxifraga stolonifera

It was a very happy day when this rat's tail cactus Aporocactus flagelliformis bloomed. I think I've finally figured out what it likes (more direct sun than previously thought)

Rhipsalis cereuscula blooming its head off

A closer look

Rosa 'Candy Stripe'. Car is for scale

Grandma loved it and so do I

Walllflower Erysimum mutabile with liquorice plant Helichysum petiolare

Agave attenuata swimming in a sea of Kalanchoe fedtschenkoi

A very dainty and lightly fragrant Australian native orchid, probably Dendrobium kingianum

Cute echeveria flowers (I'm no good at echeveria ID)

Ever- blooming Cuphea purpurea 'Elite Honey Bells'

Sedum spectabile 'Autum Joy'

The teeny tiny delicate blooms of Fuchsia 'Candy Bells'. The blooms are about 5mm long


No ID Euphorbia sp.

It wouldn't be a true spring survey without soursobs. I have lots.

Ditto thistles

Peppermint geranium Pelargonium tomentosum is a dainty bloomer

Mandarin blossom. If it all sets I'll have some thinning to do.

Not a flower - but to mind mind just as beautiful, especially with that illustrious tail on display.

If you've made it this far - well done! And thanks for reading. Hope you're enjoying some blooms in your own garden, no matter the weather or time of year in your part of the world. To see what's blooming in the gardens of other bloggers, head to May Dreams Gardens, the blog of Carol J. Michel, creator and host of the Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day meme.

Comments

  1. Wow, you're having a wonderfully flamboyant spring! I read about Southern Australia's deluge in the paper just this morning - I'm glad you're doing okay. Oddly, while La Nina conditions mean heavy rainfall for Australia, it generally means another year of severe drought in SoCal.

    A few unusual Anigozanthos popped up here last spring but I took a pass because I'd no idea where to put one. I belatedly regretted my failure to try one in a pot - I'm sure they'll reappear here next spring but probably at twice the price ;)

    Your flowering succulents are looking great. I've never seen a Rhipsalis with that many blooms. As to your Cymbidiums, I think I need to rehabilitate mine and let them spend the cool season outside my lath house - they're not blooming as well as they did in the pre-lath house days when I had them tucked in a corner and mostly ignored them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, yes it’s interesting re La NiƱa - sorry it looks like yet another season of drought for you. Wish we could send some of our rain your way.

      I think you’re right re cymbidiums - ignore them and they seem to give more flowers!

      Delete
  2. Oh, my, FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! All of it!

    So many gems in your garden, the Streptocarpus, Cymbidiums that are not sad, Veltheimia, gorgeous Broccoli (one winter heat wave here and they're gone), awesome happy happy Rhipsalis.

    I never figured out how to grow Anigozanthos--tried several and they were very expensive annuals. What do they want?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comments, Hoover Boo. All the blooms bring me a lot of joy, especially after a winter that seemed to go on forever.

      Re Anigozanthos: you might find this article by Angus Stewart of interest - I found it really helpful (I was also pretty miffed by that plant for ages too). Angus is a native plant expert and Kangaroo Paw breeder.

      https://www.gardeningwithangus.com.au/growing-kangaroo-paws/

      Delete
  3. You have so many gorgeous blooms and several I’ve not seen before. That Kangaroo Paw is so vibrant, but that last one might be my fave! Gardens and cats, what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he thank you Candi, I agree - nothing nicer than gardening with a cat around for purrs and company

      Delete
  4. Beautiful spring pics in your area. Interesting the difference of season around the world. Here in the US, we are entering fall so our flowers and colors are changing for the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all your beautiful fall colours. Enjoy them :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday: blue, silver and red (and lime and burgundy)

In a vase on Monday: bright delight

In a vase on Monday... just in time